Monday, June 3, 2013

My Doctor



The news came down the pipeline that Matt Smith was hanging up his bow tie, as the Eleventh Doctor, in the classic British show Doctor Who. Smith, the third actor to play the titular Doctor in the modern series, was my first Doctor, at least the first one I had watched from the beginning.

 It makes me something of a neophyte but it also makes the news a little more poignant. Smith is ‘my doctor’ as Rose Tyler once said, and I’m sad to see him go. It’s the end of an era, even though the timings right. It’s the perfect time for the actor who came in quite celebrated critically to venture out and start new projects; it probably doesn’t hurt that he turned the big 3 0 either. 

There’s always a bit of nostalgic and bitter sweetness at the end of something. You acknowledge that you are affected by its end and it’s a nod to the fact that it was worth your time; we are always sad to see things we invested much of ourselves end. An ending means that something new must begin, there’s always the hesitation and wondering if it can surpass what has come before it. I’m sure I’ll go back to the old episodes and laugh and cry at the stories that are told counting down to the final episodes of the Eleventh. After all that, I’ll put them away looking forward to the next Doctor and new beginnings, but thankful for all the memories, it has been a pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment