Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Torn Asunder

The Old Republic sounded the gong when it went free to play the other day. It's detractors were quick to point and say 'I told you so'. Later calmer heads prevailed and between stock analysts and the stock market EA was actually doing better after the news. These days the drive to go F2P has changed the landscape and the billion dollar quarters are the singular domain of only World of Warcraft. I've always felt the the MMO market was sitting on a bubble, but I see F2P as a kind of market correction without the doom and gloom of a crash. I don't think we're ever going back to subscriptions, unless a product can truly transcend the market and I haven't see it yet.


Addendum: I read this article on VG247, that sparked my attention, such a well written article deserved notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment