Saturday, October 26, 2013

I Hate Mass Effect 3


There I said it. Mass Effect 3 was the best game I had ever played. The story was epic; the characters were fleshed out and realized. I saved the universe and Shepard was remembered for who she was; the best thing to ever happen to that damn galaxy. And I hated that game with a passion

Like drinking orange juice after brushing my teeth, no other game could compare. It ruined every other game I played. Even Bioware’s own Old Republic fell short; like a wine too young. No other story was good enough. No other combat was clean enough, fun enough and yet tightly controlled and perfectly paced enough. It was like the perfect storm; that moment in time when everything comes together in a once in a decade event. I remember back when I first played Halo. Picture this; the big screen and surround sound and a good friend who knew the ropes, guiding me against the Covenant. The screams as a perfectly placed plasma grenade clings to a grunt as he runs screaming toward an elite; with a story that was old, and yet new. We gamers don’t get many of those memories, but Mass Effect 3 was one of mine.

I suppose I should be grateful, but I’m not. Mass Effect 3 stole my favorite hobby and left me with nothing but feelings of warmth and good cheer. And I will never be the same. I hate you Mass Effect 3… but I love you more.

No comments:

Post a Comment